Sunday, February 6, 2011

Using Delicious.com as a Search Engine

I would like to share an experience of mine I had recently in this post. If you are a person who google every now and then to find sometimes a very specific thing related to a specific topic, you might find this post useful and would like to give it a shot.
I was working on a WPF based application where I had to display some data in a very specific format to user. I knew that someone must have done it before so I was trying to find some code snippet related to it that I can use or get an idea from for my WPF application. I tried Google, Bing and even Yahoo to to find that code snippet but I couldn't. At this point I would like to tell that I use Delicious.com for storing bookmarks like thousands of other out there. So after wasting quite sometime on search engines an idea came in my mind "Why not try to find it on Delicious?". I extracted the main keywords from my problem and searched them on delicious. I typed only the keywords because I know delicious uses the tags to store and organize links. I couldn't believe it and I expect same from you but the first link delicious returned had the solution of my problem :) Delicious have a pretty big and i must say organized database of useful links. I am not sure how many users have recently switched from delicious because of the news that yahoo is closing it down but it still have huge collection of refined, selective and tagged links. If you ever get stuck in something and search engine won't return you what you are looking for(which I wish don't happen to anyone) give this approach a shot and see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment